Legs walking when walking: what causes a symptom
Sharp, piercing pain in the leg, which turns the muscle into a “stone” and sometimes makes it rise on the toe – this is how the unpleasant state, which is popularly called “reduces the leg,” appears. In medicine, this pathology is called spasm. An unpleasant condition always arises spontaneously and is uncontrollable. Cramp may occur during rest or physical activity. Why are the calves numb when walking? What will a painful symptom tell?
What can be caused convulsions: the main reasons
Involuntary contractions of muscle tissue, which are accompanied by acute pain and sudden numbness, are called convulsions. Most often the calf muscles spasm. Spasms of the foot or toes are much less common.
Doctors know many reasons that can cause muscle spasms of the legs. All these reasons can be divided into four groups.
Electrolyte balance failure
Most often electrolyte disturbances lead to convulsions. The body is very sensitive to this imbalance. Against the background of deficiency of nutrients, muscle contractions are disturbed, convulsions begin to disturb.
Water deficiency leads to thickening of the blood
The main causes of electrolyte imbalance:
1. Dehydration. A lack of water leads to thickening of the blood. At the same time, the concentration of sodium in the body is significantly reduced. This leads to muscle spasm.
2. Abundant bleeding. In the body, the volume of circulating blood sharply decreases. Sodium levels are impaired. Against the background of such problems seizures develop.
3. Lack of trace elements, vitamins. Vitamin D and a number of trace elements (calcium, magnesium, and potassium) are responsible for the normal conduction of nerve impulses to muscle tissues. If there is a shortage of such substances in the body, then in humans it reduces legs when walking in the calf area. Lack of beneficial components can be caused by:
tight diet (most often protein);
abuse of coffee, sugar;
4. Medication. Prolonged therapy with certain medications may provoke a shortage of essential substances in the body. Against the background of insufficient concentration of beneficial ions, nervous excitability increases. Most often, spasms occur when using the following groups of drugs:
diuretics (they remove magnesium and potassium);
adsorbents (worsen the absorption of minerals);
antacids (do not allow the body to fully absorb calcium, magnesium).
5. Pregnancy. All the beneficial substances of the maternal organism are spent on the full formation of the fetus. Therefore, during pregnancy, calcium deficiency is often observed.
Due to calcium deficiency in pregnant women can reduce legs
6. Strong stress. During a stressful situation in the human body begins to produce cortisol. This hormone significantly impairs calcium absorption.
Insufficient blood supply to the tissues
Improper blood supply to the tissues contributes to the accumulation of oxidized metabolic products in the body (these can be inflammatory mediators or lactic acid). Tissue ischemia causes convulsions with severe pain.
With insufficient blood circulation, metabolic disorders, accompanied by a decrease in the concentration of glucose, calves and feet become numb.
The main sources of tissue ischemia:
1. Varicose veins, thrombophlebitis. Violation of venous outflow leads to stagnant processes. It is the stagnation of blood that causes the appearance of pain in the legs while walking. Varicose veins most often develop in people who are forced to spend a lot of time on their feet (hairdressers, vendors, and lecturers).
2. Diabetes. With this pathology, blood circulation deteriorates, glucose utilization is impaired. The patient experiences pain, cramps, and sometimes paresis (partial loss of movement) of the lower extremities.
3. Flatfoot. Abnormal structure of the foot leads to improper distribution of the load. Bone, muscular systems, ligaments are affected. When flat-footedness, small nerve endings are compressed and blood flow deteriorates. A similar situation is observed in women who prefer high heels, and in lovers of tight, narrow shoes.
4. Physical activity. In tissues with high physical activity accumulates lactic acid. Increases muscle tone. In addition, increased perspiration, leading to the loss of the necessary potassium ions.
In athletes, often reduces the legs because of the large amount of lactic acid
5. Heart disease. When the pathologies of the heart is markedly worsened blood circulation. Peripheral vessels are particularly affected. The heart is not able to fully ensure the flow of blood into the vessels of the legs and feet. That is why muscle spasms can occur.
Why the calves when walking? Muscle cramps can cause neurological damage. Typically, the pathology is caused by such pathologies:
1. Intoxication of the body. In case of poisoning, neuromuscular conduction is disturbed. This leads to spasticity (constant tension) of the leg muscles.