How to cope with motion sickness
Motion sickness is not a disease, but it can deliver a lot of discomfort. People who suffer from them try not to plan long journeys. For them, the usual trip by car or bus turns into a nightmare: dizziness, nausea, weakness, sticky sweat and even vomiting. And it’s scary to think about sea cruises.
What is the cause of motion sickness
Rocking occurs when the vestibular apparatus is impaired – an organ that is responsible for the position of the body in space. The vestibular apparatus is located in the inner ear and sends signals to the brain about all movements of the body.
Here is one of the theories explaining the causes of motion sickness.
When we move, for example in a car, and look at objects in the cabin, it seems to our eyes that we are still and they transmit this signal to the brain. At the same time, our body moves with some speed. And the data about it also goes to the brain. As a result, there is an inconsistency between the various signals, which causes symptoms of motion sickness. They are enhanced by fixing the gaze on a fixed object, for example, reading a book.
Does motion sickness pass with age?
Most often, the victims of motion sickness are children: they suffer somewhere up to fifteen, then the symptoms subside, but not at all. Often, adults begin to transfer trips in the car, but not everyone can withstand the sea rolling. Although the sailors are somehow adapting to it – obviously, the vestibular apparatus is amenable to training.
Is it possible to prevent motion sickness?
There are different ways to make it easier to carry long trips. Some people help some people, others help others, but there are people (fortunately there are few) who are not helped by anything. So all the ways you need to try and choose the one that will be effective for you.
1. Choose the right place. In the car, this place is in front, next to the driver (by the way, drivers, as a rule, are not swayed), on the bus in the front seats. In the trains, choose the cars in the middle of the train, in the plane – places in the central part, on the ship – cabins on the upper decks and also in the center.
2. Look forward. Concentrate your gaze on one point in front or on the horizon line. Do not look in the side window, do not read, do not write SMS, do not watch movies.
3. Try to sleep. In a dream, motion sickness will not torment you. Well, if you can not, just close your eyes.
4. Breathe in fresh air. When sailing go out on deck. If possible, open the window in the car, but if it’s really bad, ask to stop the car and go out.
5. Drink water. Be sure to take drinking water with you when you travel. It will help to cope with unpleasant sensations, and with vomiting to fill fluid loss. Drink often in small sips. Activated charcoal can be added to water (three 0.5 l tablets).
6. Do not use perfume on the trip. Strong odors, even pleasant ones, only increase the symptoms of motion sickness. If in the cabin there is a smell of gasoline, then it is necessary to ventilate the car.
7. Do not eat enough and do not drink alcohol before the road. An overcrowded stomach, heavy fatty foods, spicy dishes – all this will increase nausea. The same applies to alcohol. But traveling on an empty stomach is not worth it – it will be sick. 30 minutes before the trip, eat something light – protein or carbohydrate.
8. Drink ginger lemonade or eat ginger pastries. They say that ginger helps. True, not all doctors agree with this, but they do not prohibit food and drink with ginger.
9. Make a light massage. Massage the earlobes in a circular motion. This massage is recommended to perform within a few minutes. The method is absolutely unscientific, but suddenly it will help?
10. Dissolve mints. Generally mint well removes nausea. You can try to drink tea with mint or rub the whiskey with mint oil, forehead, neck from behind.
11. Use a lemon. You can eat a slice of lemon, or chew zest, or add lemon to your drinking water.
12. Make candy with lemon tea. Make green tea with mint and melissa (1 tsp in a glass of boiling water), add the juice of half a lemon, you can also put the zest. Pour all into molds and freeze. Such “lollipops” will be very helpful in the trip. The only thing is that they quickly melt, but if there is a cooler bag, then they will be enough for 2-3 hours.
13. Take the medicine. If you know that all these means will not help you, take a medicine for motion sickness. It can be tablets or patches. It is only advisable to consult with a doctor before this, since all medicines have their own contraindications. In addition, follow the recommended dosage, otherwise you will only harm yourself.
Enjoy your trip and vivid impressions!